Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Fifteen














Not much in the way of thoughtful, literary posts around here for now. The brain cells are scrambled. Notes and jottings only.

  1. The black cloud of depression and anxiety that descended three weeks ago has lifted quite suddenly. Hallelujah. I'm used to its cyclical visits but they still lay me low.
  2. About a week ago I ran into an acquaintance, a fellow-sufferer. During our chat she put me onto this book which I later got out of the library. It's a gem. Very helpful. In one section the author echoes advice I received in an email from a blogfriend a while back (you know who you are). I'm grateful to both.
  3. That morning I had almost stayed in bed under the duvet.
  4. It's important to keep doing the next right thing.
  5. Particularly when you don't want to or can't see the point.
  6. Yoga is wonderful. I've always known it but this past week proved the matter beyond doubt. It shifts stuff on all sorts of levels.
  7. Reading Susanne's (A Life in Wales) most recent post has helped.
  8. Thinking once again about how many of the planet's concerns I can/ought to take on board. Worrying about them is only useful if I take action, however small.
  9. I need to take some small actions. One at a time.
  10. The sale of the flat is still up in the air. Fifty/fifty chance that it will go through.
  11. The owner of the Death Watch Beetle house has come back to me. He says the problems are fixed. I've asked for written details. I'm dubious but it's unsettling. A bit like being rung up by the unsuitable lover you finally let go of but still hanker after ...
  12. I will now probably rent a flat in the new place for six months and buy something once I am on the spot.
  13. Walked out of a temp job last week after the first day. Never done that before. I'd love to describe the gory details but it's probably not advisable on the blog.
  14. I need another temp job.
  15. Autumn is the cat's favourite season. He tries to chase the falling leaves through the window.

Click to enlarge photo

16 Comments:

Blogger rdl said...

I love this post. practical and insightful. I need to start Yoga! I think renting first is an excellent idea. And don't fret about your's; it hasn't been very long. Here they say the average is 3 months- but it's a buyer's market here and winter is coming.
It will all come together.

12:56 pm  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Glad the lights are back on. Lovely morning photo.

D once had a one-day temp job, during a cycle of underemployment. Told the boss he was also in the National Guard. She asked him if he got that job through the temp agency, as well. He says he imagined throwing her out the window, but didn't, really.

12:59 pm  
Blogger herhimnbryn said...

Ah M. A reflective and practical post. I see the Buddha is on the windowsill and that looks like the perfect incense for Yoga. Puss look confident and you sound it, if a little tentative.

Renting sounds like a good idea. Go with you gut M. You know, you know.

1:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry things are tough. I thought you might like to know one wonderful bit of serendipity: the church on the marshes you described so evocatively and lyrically is featured in this month's Country Living.

Will write soon

Jan

2:15 pm  
Blogger Jean said...

You put a smile on my face, and deep inside too. Your advice is excellent and none of it can be repeated too often. Unlike most unsuitable lovers, houses are usually fixable, with sufficient investment, so you never know...

2:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many things to think about and do ... it can be so overwhelming!

2:52 pm  
Blogger Dale said...

:-)

11:42 pm  
Blogger Shannon Hopkins said...

My mum did yoga for years and years. In fact she taught it in Ireland for quite a few years. I never really tried it, though I think I ought to. A lovely post.

12:58 am  
Blogger leslee said...

Mary, Mercury's been retrograde for a few weeks. Begins to turn around this weekend. Maybe that will help things move forward. Yes, yoga is wonderful. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

12:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

. . . yay on so many levels to you . . . and to leave a funky job after one day is living proof that the call to health and well being is still very much alive and on the move inside of you . . . yeah . . . :)

1:20 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Thanks all.

Rdl: I'm hanging on to your final sentence ...

Zhoen:Throwing someone out the window occurred to me. The River thames was immediately below as it happens. Really. :-)

HHB: Your comments are always so soothing. Mmm ...

Jan: I found the Country Living piece today. Thank you so much. I didn't know they had a carol service at the church. Probably won't be able to make it but it must be unforgettable.

Jean: Smiles are good. The house is probably a no-no now. I'm just spooked by it.

Becca: It's unchartered territory for sure.

Dale: :-) Indeed.

Taraky: I find so much of my emotions and stress are lodged in the body and it is my experience that yoga can release at least some of them. Plus I tend to hyperventilate at times and the breathing exercises are good for that ...

MB; Thank you.

Leslee: Oh I know. Thank goodness. This retrograde has seemed like forever.

Kate: Thank you and a hug.

7:01 pm  
Blogger Barbara said...

Glad to read your depression and anxiety has lifted. Renting for a while sounds like a good idea, you will also get to know the area and can get a feel for the best area to live in. I hope another temp job comes alone soon.

11:00 pm  
Blogger LJ said...

13 - I love gory details. Fess up.

And I love the comparison of being rung up by an unsuitable suitor you still hanker over. Cracked me up.

Really, if there's even a chance you'll buy it, you have to stop calling it the Death Watch Beetle House.

And oh, I couldn't agree more about how much we take on of the world's grief. To what end? To make ourselves more unhappy and to spread the unhappiness like a virus? But like you, I have to remind myself, often.

Great entry, M. Love to visit here.

11:34 pm  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

I love yoga too for the same reason...

5:23 am  
Blogger Mary said...

Starnitesky: Thank you. I'm sure a job will come along. Just hope it doesn't take too long :-)

LJ: No 13. It's too raw, I might start sobbing ;-)

The fact I keep calling it DWB House is actually I sign that I am not going to buyit. I'd be continually waiting for the roof to fall in.

Bitterroot: Welcome! We agree.

7:32 am  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

I'm with the cat. Love to chase leaves in the garden. Sending good thoughts and love to you Mary.

6:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home